Saddle Fitting Service
Maximising performance starts with comfort. Having the right saddle fit takes you further in your quest for perfection and these, it must be said are the riders goals. It should be of no surprise that your horse is always more interested in comfort.
A difficult thing to maintain as horses can change shape, and so regular saddle checks are an essential part of the management of your horses comfort.
Areas we cover
We cover Shropshire, South Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire. Further areas by request subject to agreeing travel costs.
We are authorised Saddle Fitters for Amerigo and Equipe Saddles. We also stock Albion, John Whitaker, Premier Equine, Arena, Pessoa, Saddle Company and Bates saddles.
Booking a Saddle Fitting or a saddle check.
Booking Saddlemasters can be done on our website
Our costs for saddle fitting are £72.00 for each horse or pony, plus travel. If you decide to purchase a saddle exceeding £1500 in value, we will credit back the fee against the value of the saddle.
For example, if we charge £72 for the fitting, and £25 for travel (£97 together in total) and as part of our service you choose to purchase a saddle of ours that retails for £2000. We'll credit this £97 to your £2000 saddle purchase, meaning you receive the saddle fitting service as complimentary service.
We are prepared to split the travel charge between the number of horses at the stable yard we are attending, so for example to attend to look at four horses the charge for travel per client with one horse each would be £6.25. The saddle fitting cost remains the same price of £72.00 for each horse.
What to expect from your saddle fitting appointment?
Buying a new saddle is obviously an extremely important purchases for you and your horse. It has to be right for you and right for your horse and so both are considered. However, if you already have a saddle it may be possible to adjust or reflock accordingly and so you may not need a new one.
We are happy to check the fit in terms of both of you and your horse. We will run through the same saddle fitting checks in either case.
What we need:
- The rider to be suitably dressed and ready to ride for the appointment.
- A level surface where your horse can be tied up for examination and measurement.
- A secure flat field or ideally an arena/school/ménage
- A clean horse with bridle, girth, stirrups, and saddle cloth (we can provide these if needed)
- Existing saddle for examination where necessary.
- If you’re looking at buying a jump saddle it’s also good to have jumps available at the appointment.
What we will do:
- Take a template of your horse's back for sizing and future reference.
- Examine the horse's back for any soreness, lumps, bumps, or cuts.
- Assess the fit of your current saddle and whether adjustment is an option prior to considering a new saddle if that is your wish.
- Shortlist saddles that might work for both horse and rider ( N.B a second visit may prove necessary at our cost to ensure the correct saddle is being recommended).
- Watch available selected saddles ridden at a walk, trot, and canter (if appropriate for horse and riders level of ability).
- If you decide to buy a saddle on the day of the appointment, we will issue you with an invoice and a right to cancel form.
How long does it take?
- Checking your current saddle usually takes 1 hour but can take longer, so please leave plenty of time for us to complete our checks.
- If you're buying a new saddle from us, please allow at least 2 hours for the fitting appointment, but it can take longer depending on conformation and any asymmetric circumstances we encounter.
Buying from us:
- Please book your appointment on our website, for any other purchases you decide to make our fitter can take debit card or credit card payments, or they can email you an invoice to pay via bank transfer.
- We will issue you with an invoice and your right to cancel form for every saddle purchased.
- If you've had your existing saddle checked and our saddler has made small adjustments, we recommend booking in to have the saddle assessed again in about 6 months.
- If you've purchased a new saddle, we recommend you book an appointment to have it checked in 3 months time to check for any settling in the case of flocked panels. We suggest this earlier appointment as flocking in new saddles can bed down and need to be topped up. Horses often change shape after being ridden in a new saddle for a few months.
If you would like to book an appointment please go to our online booking form - Saddle fitting booking form
Our Saddle Fitter Qualifications
- SMS Qualification in Saddle Flocking and Flocking adjustment.
- Authorised Saddle Fitter and Dealer for Amerigo and Equipe Saddles (trained with Peter Menet of Menetsattal AG Switzerland)
- Approved saddle fitter for The Saddle Company Ltd Walsall.
- Neue Schule Academy Bridle and Bit fitting - Lantra Qualification.
- UK Coaching - Safe Guarding and Protection of Children Certificate 2017
Experienced rider and Saddle fitter with over 30 years experience working with professional show jumpers, working hunters, eventers, and dressage riders.
"Amerigo gives me the balance and position i need to really become one with my horse. To truly influence my horse in a positive way with no restrictions."
"I’ve been riding with Amerigo saddles for over 15 years and I can say that I feel totally at one with my horse. Not only the quality of the saddles are great but the way they fit the horse to allow them to be able to use there body the best way possible without any discomfort. In the end every detail counts and I know without these saddles I wouldn’t have achieved the success I’ve had today".